From 2007 to 2011, BCBSIL funded numerous programs and initiatives focused on promoting children’s overall health, including:
- Funding and oversight of 25 community-based initiatives designed to improve health and reduce obesity among children. The initiative funding is meant to help individual organizations that traditionally work independently come together and work more efficiently to achieve common goals.
- Building four “Wellness Campuses” at Chicago Park District properties throughout the city. Take a look at a video about the Wellness Campuses.
- Participating in the Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children (CLOCC) Corporate Advisory Committee — CLOCC brings together hundreds of organizations and individuals in Chicago to protect "Chicago children from the effects of the obesity epidemic."
- Partnering with the Illinois Public Health Institute to sponsor three public hearings in 2010 on the costs of and solutions to the obesity epidemic. The three public hearings were held in Chicago, Springfield and Carbondale and drew more than 200 people each — from local businesses, Chambers of Commerce, and community dieticians, to public health departments and school leaders.
- Working with a national organization called KaBOOM! to build 12 playgrounds for kids in underserved areas throughout the state. Visit our Facebook page to learn more about our involvement.
- Funding the Healthy Schools Campaign “Go for the Gold” effort to improve the quality of food served to students and increase physical activity among students in Chicago Public Schools. Learn more about our involvement in the program.
- Sponsoring OrganWise Guys, an educational program that uses fun, colorful characters to help young children understand physiology and healthy behaviors through books, games, dolls and videos. To date, we have sponsored the curriculum in 97 schools, reaching 48,500 students.